Saturday, October 13, 2007

Sleep!!!

I am finishing a nice little continental breakfast in a hotel room. Alone. By myself. I have just spent the night here to try to get some sleep. It was actually Greg's suggestion, and with his encouragement, I made a hotel reservation and began planning a real night's rest.

Having spent the last 3 months (basically) with a new daughter who prefers to take naps, rather than long stretches of sleep, I found myself to be a complete basket case. My brain has been in a thick fog. I dont' really know how I've managed to drive to work & back, let alone do much of anything else.

My psychology class final exam is tomorrow. I'm also writing a 2-3 page paper on any topic that was addressed in our text. I've chosen sleep deprivation. Having experienced it first hand, reading some of the symptoms and resulting problems of sleep deprivation, which is a REAL problem - I look forward to writing about it.

Checking into the hotel, I felt a little bit guilty as my girls were going to stay with Daddy and Mama Taylor, and I knew it meant they would get to deal with the girls alone. I know they are capable and I know they did a perfectly fine job, but I'd gotten into that "I have to do everything and be everything for" my girls. Hopefully this little break will snap me out of that.

By the way, when I did check into the hotel, the lady at the front desk says, "Oh, YOU'RE the lucky one." I said, "Really? I am?" And she proceeds to tell me that the hotel overbooked and I've been upgraded to a suite. For real. Ahhhhhhh.

And I did sleep. Without about 6 pillows in a soft bed with fluffy comforters and the air on - ahhhhh - I had some pretty interesting dreams. Dream interpretation was another topic I studied this semester in psychology class. If I didn't feel so strongly about sleep deprivation, I might have to write about that...

Thank you, Honey, for suggesting this and encouraging me to do this and making sure the girls were taken care of. I needed it and I appreciate it. I love you.

Deb

3 comments:

cafegirl said...

oooohhhhhh I'm jealous!!! You deserve it! I hope that you actually did sleep while you were there! Sometimes when I'm supposed to be sleeping I'll turn on the television and play "catch up" and never get sleep. :( Hope you did well on your exam and paper! I'm thinking and praying for you! Dawn

Sharon L. Holland said...

Sounds delightful. Nothing like a hotel room and a good night's rest.

Anonymous said...

As the mother of a 2.5-year-old and 3-week-old, I'M SO JEALOUS!!!!

**opmom.com

From your Command Center you can organize your family’s medical information & create wellness reminders, find & rate local service providers, plan & book the perfect vacation, get a handle on your photos, create & plan events and parties, stay in touch with your community using the innovative “HeadsUp” local broadcast feature, plus find inspiration for tonight’s dinner.