Tuesday, September 19, 2006

A Higher Calling

Last night on my way home, I began listening to Twila Paris’ CD – Beyond a Dream. I noted the lyrics of a particular song, Rescue the Prisoner, that really hit me, because I had just read Isaiah 61:1-3 again before I left work for the day:

“1 The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon Me,
Because the LORD has anointed Me
To preach good tidings to the poor;
He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted,
To proclaim liberty to the captives,
And the opening of the prison to those who are bound;
2 To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD,
And the day of vengeance of our God;
To comfort all who mourn,
3 To console those who mourn in Zion,
To give them beauty for ashes,
The oil of joy for mourning,
The garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness;
That they may be called trees of righteousness,
The planting of the LORD, that He may be glorified.”

I love these verses. I find great inspiration in them. The words in the song that are tied to these verses and moved me to tears are:
We are called to be a light
That even blinded eyes can see
To break the chains
To bind the wounds
And to proclaim the captive free
What powerful words in both the Scripture and the song lyrics. It does not say anywhere that there will be no pain or suffering or sadness, but rather that the Lord can trade those things for healing, comfort, and joy…

I love the first part if Isaiah 61:1 - The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon Me, Because the LORD has anointed Me - What a confident calling and fulfilling purpose...


Let this mantle fall on me...

1 comment:

NanaBaker said...

What precious heart-stirring thoughts! So glad you shared them. Our message at church last night was about being the LIGHT!
It's a great thing to be mindful of huh? XOXO